25 April 2006

Shanghai Museum

Shanghai may not be Beijing with its vast palaces, gardens and its history, but Shanghai does have a museum with seals, coins, bronze artifacts, stone artifacts, costumes of the minorities, Ming porcelain, Ming and Qing Dynasty furniture. Some of the bronze artifacts displayed date back to several thousand years.

Don't be fooled by the sombre, grey external facade. The museum is lavish on the inside. It is a thoroughly modern structure, not likely to be something from the Commie era.

Here I am, in the People's Square in front of the museum in Shanghai. I think it is well-worth a visit though some of the galleries were closed for a variety of reasons*.

* Loans to other museusm, renovations, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you take pics inside the museum? Is not not allowed? It be nice to see what's inside.... hmmmmm...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Well, at that point, the battery on my sister's camera gave up. I took over a hundred images at least during the week I was there.

I didn't bring a charger though.

With regards to the interior, it was marbled. Marble floors, stairs, tastefully dark interiors with minimal light which focuses on the artifacts.

I doubt if photography is allowed in the gallery areas though.