24 April 2006

Strange Telephone Calls from Taiwan

Lately, I have received several strange telephone calls supposedly from Taiwan. The first incident took place last year when I received a call from a formal sounding lady with an American accent. She claimed to be calling from a court in Taiwan and she had something to convey to my uncle. I informed my uncle who asked me to question her on the matter, but she refused to divulge anything, claiming that it was for his ears only. Then, she hung up!

Earlier this month, the same woman called. This time, she wanted to speak to my mother. She probably could not remember the conversation we had previously. When I received the call, I asked her what it was about again. She repeated the line that she was calling from a court in Taiwan and she would only speak to my mother. Since my mother was not available, she offered to send this information via electronic mail which she claimed was addressed to my mother and was for my mother's eyes only.

This afternoon, she called again asking if I had received the email. I told her either to reveal the object of the call or I would hang up. And she parroted the same line about not divulging information. BAM!

Well, I guess these swindlers are now fishing through phone lines hoping someone will bite. Where Nigerian swindlers once resorted to emails and faxes, now that IDD calls are inexpensive, swindlers probably fish names from trade journals, business listings and so forth.

10 comments:

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

this must be so random
i've gotten my hooverphonic. have you gotten yours?

Tim said...

As Michael in Godfather 3 says "Our true enemy has yet to reveal themself".

Andrew Glazebrook said...

In the UK you can now get a block put on bogus callers,but they try all sorts of new tricks to get through !

Hemsem said...

That's pretty scary isn't it? Hope you've warned your folks about it.

Merv Kwok said...

i get this pretty often on my company line. 411 scammers i tell ya!

Ole' Wolvie said...

Formal sounding American English from Taiwan.

Riight...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Ole'Wolvie, it is not surprising. Taiwan and the USA have had ties for a long time with a number of people going over to the USA for formal higher education. Thus, it is not unsurprising.

Merv, you receive these calls too? I have received quite a few of those sure-win investement types calling from aboard too. Either London or somewhere in the USA. I think I have received about 3 or 4 American ones asking me to invest in something in Dubai! Hahahaha.

Ari, my folks have seen this sort of scam since the 80s starting with the Nigerian faxes! Yeah, before the email ones!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Littlefish, I have gotten mine. I was hoping to see the CD-cum-DVD edition of the new Hooverphonic album. What did you think of the album?

For myself, beyond a first impression, I haven't listened to it much. I have been preoccupied with things. And I have been listening to old Tangerine Dream albums instead!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Tim, hahahaha.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Andrew, how does one filter and block them? They can be different callers