24 April 2006

Nanjing Road, Shanghai

More images of Nanjing Road. I took them when I was in Shanghai a month or so ago. The glitter of the citylights. The multitudes on the streets at night. It's astonishing.

Singapore feels like a backwater compared to Shanghai. This is a world city, akin to London, Paris or New York.



There are huge bookstores like the seven-storey one along Nanjing Street. If only they carry books in English.

Strangely enough, as I typed this entry, a woman from Beijing called. She was from a government business bureau and she wanted to confirm my company's information. She was able to speak Mandarin and English well. How times have changed. If Mao Zedong were still alive, I wonder how he would have regarded the vast changes sweeping China. From a strict communist, 'egalitarian' state to a free-wheeling capitalist state.*

The New World building. Look at the Samsung sign there. Amazing.

*Of course, by many standards, it is still authoritarian.

No comments: