28 August 2006

A33 Heavy Assault Tank Excelsior



In view of the disappointing performance of the A22 Churchill Infantry Tank at Dieppe in August 1942, the A33 heavy assault tank was built as an interim, combining the functions of the cruiser and infantry class tanks, mounting a 75mm dual purpose gun. The A33 was based on a A27 hull with heavier armour. Two pilot models were built with the first prototype using similar tracks used by the American M6 heavy tank and the second, wider Cromwell type tracks. The A33 was not put into production.

Addendum

That should be a A33 with the Cromwell tracks. If anyone knows better, please send clarifications. It will be greatly appreciated.

Tank Museum, Bovington: July 2006 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

JgStephan said...

Thanks for your comment and I'm glad you like my photos. You have also some great photos and interesting informations in your blog.
Greetings from Germany

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thanks Stephan. I just discovered your October 2005 entries and the photos of the Munster tank museum! Excellent stuff!

I will be going through those in great detail.

I like that German paratrooper you have as your blog title. I have that too in a book by Concord. Great stuff!

I like the photos of the woodlands you too. And also of the cemetary.